Knights of Columbus
Archbishop Neale Council, No. 2279
Charter Constitution Laws
DUTIES OF COUNCIL OFFICERS
Sec. 135. The Grand Knight shall -
Preside Over Meetings
1. Preside at all meetings of his council and shall enforce the rules and regulations of the council and the laws of the Order, and shall be Chairman of the Board of Trustees.
2. Appoint Committees in and for his council whose appointment is not regularly provided for by the laws of his council, and shall be a member ex officio of all committees.
When Act as Chaplain
3. Act as Chaplain in absence of the regular Chaplain.
4. Countersign orders drawn and signed by the Financial Secretary for the payment of money when the same have been ordered by his council, or approved by the Board of Trustees, provided, however, that benefit orders may be drawn upon the Treasurer of the council upon an order drawn and signed by the Financial Secretary and counter-signed by the Grand Knight and with the Grand Knight's approval alone, and also all demands of the Supreme Council or Board of Directors or State Council, and the regular and usual payments of the council may be paid upon an order drawn and signed by the Financial Secretary and countersigned by the Grand Knight without the approval of the Board of Trustees.
5. Countersign checks drawn and signed by the Treasurer.
Read Vouchers, Etc.
6. Receive the vouchers from the Financial Secretary of the moneys paid by such Secretary to the Treasurer, and also the vouchers showing that such moneys were by such Treasurer deposited in an approved bank or other secure institution of deposit, and shall read the same publicly at the next subsequent meeting after receiving the same, and shall then deposit such vouchers for safekeeping with the trustees of his council, and it shall be his duty to read all receipts and vouchers sent through him to the Treasurer by the Supreme Council to the council at the next meeting subsequent to receiving the same and before delivering said receipts and vouchers to said Treasurer.
Read Notices Relative to the Fourth Degree
7. Read or cause to be read at council meetings all notices relative to the Fourth Degree sent them by the Supreme Officers or by the Supreme Master, Vice-Supreme Master or Masters of the Fourth Degree.
8. Perform such other duties as the Order may impose.
DEPUTY GRAND KNIGHT
SEC.1 36. The Deputy Grand Knight shall preside in the absence or inability of the Grand Knight and execute all the duties of said Grand Knight. He shall perform such other duties as the Order may impose. In the absence of the Grand Knight and Deputy Grand Knight, then the duty of presiding at a meeting of the council shall devolve on the other officers of the council in the order in which they are named in Section 126 after the Deputy Grand Knight.
SEC. 137. The Chancellor shall assist the Grand Knight and the Deputy Grand Knight in the performance of their duties and shall take charge of the council during the incapacity or extended absence of both. He shall be charged with the total participation of the membership in the activities of the council. Subject to the approval of the Grand Knight he shall institute a program to develop the availability and interest of the members in the specific activities of the council and refer his finding to the Grand Knight. He shall exercise a special interest in new members and those members who are sick or in distress. He shall perform such other duties as the Grand Knight directs.
SEC. 139. The Financial Secretary shall ---
Collect and Receive All Moneys
1. Collect and receive all moneys due the council, and all funds obtained from any source, by or through any person or persons, acting for or in the name of the council or under its direction or authority, including all moneys resulting from any form of athletic activity carried on for the council or with its authority, or in which its name or any part thereof is used, or in which any representation is made in any way that such activity is a council activity. Provided, however, that where two or more councils engage jointly in any form of athletic activity the moneys resulting therefrom shall be handled as directed by the State or Territorial Deputy or Deputies in whose jurisdiction such councils are located.
2. Keep an account of the indebtedness of each member and each certificate holder and the amount received from each, giving credit for the whole amount paid, and the purpose for which the same is paid, upon the precise day of payment, be the same made for arrears or advance or both, and make proper record of same in the books provided for that purpose.
Pay Money to Treasurer
3. Pay over to the Treasurer of his council all moneys received at meetings, or between meetings, for fines, dues, contributions, death benefit assessments, initiation fees or from other sources, at and to the close of each meeting, for which said Treasurer shall forthwith give a written receipt to such Secretary, specifying the funds to which the same be credited, which receipt shall be given to the acting Grand Knight by the Financial Secretary before next succeeding meeting.
4. Keep a roll of the members and certificate holders, their ages, residences and occupations, with the dates of initiation. Keep a record of Fourth Degree members as and when furnished by the Master of the Fourth Degree and Comptroller.
Cause Members to Subscribe to By-Laws, Etc.
5. Cause every member before initiation to subscribe his name, subjecting himself to the constitution and the by-laws of the Order and of the Council.
Notify Supreme Secretary
6. Notify the Supreme Secretary of the names and addresses of all council officers.
Keep Certain Records
7. Keep a record of the financial business transactions of the council upon books approved by the Board of Directors and furnished by the Supreme Council at the expense of the council to wit: The number of propositions received and the names of the candidates, the number elected and their names, the number initiated and their names; the amount of money received and from what sources; the amount paid to the Treasurer and for what purpose, the amounts of all orders drawn against the Treasurer, stating to whom paid and for what purpose.
8. Draw all orders on the Treasurer of his council when ordered by the Supreme Council, the State Council, his local council, Board of Trustees or Grand Knight for the payment of all claims or demands against his council, which orders shall be signed by him and countersigned by the Grand Knight.
Notify Supreme Secretary of Suspensions, Etc.
9. With the Grand Knight, notify promptly the Supreme Secretary of names of members initiated, suspended, expelled, withdrawn, deceased, reinstated, readmitted, transferring to or from the council, and changes of address, for necessary entry on the Supreme Council records.
11. Be the accountant of his council, keeping said accounts, so that same will show complete and accurate financial standing of the council and its members at all times, and such books and records as are required by the laws and rules, and furnished by the Supreme Council at the expense of the subordinate council.
Notify Candidate's Grand Knight
12. When a candidate receives degrees in a council of which he is not a member, the Financial Secretary thereof shall notify the Grand Knight of said candidate's council.
13. Keep the seal of the council and afix the same to all proper papers, etc.
Notify the Comptroller
14. Notify the Comptroller of the Fourth Degree Assembly of any Fourth Degree member who may transfer to the council, or who may transfer from the council, or who may be suspended by the council.
15. Perform all other acts required by the laws of his council and the Order and the rules of the Board of Directors.
SEC. 138. The Recorder shall keep a true record of the doings of his council upon books approved by the Board of Directors and furnished by the Supreme Secretary at the expense of the council: conduct all correspondence of the council and shall perform such duties as the council or Order may direct.
SEC. 140. The Treasurer shall---
Custodian of Funds
1. Be the custodian of all funds of the council obtained from any source, by or through any person or persons, acting for or in the name of the council or under its direction or authority.
Receive Moneys, Etc.
2. At each meeting of the council receives from the Financial Secretary all moneys whatever received by said Secretary at such meeting, or between meetings, and shall give a written receipt to such Secretary therefor, specifying the funds to which the same shall be credited.
The moneys so received by such Treasurer shall be forthwith deposited by said Treasurer to the credit of the council in an approved bank or other secure institution of deposit, subject to approval of the Board of Trustees or majority vote of the council. He shall obtain vouchers or certificates of deposit, therefor, a copy of each of which shall be delivered by such Treasurer to the acting Grand Knight before the next succeeding meeting. His deposit books may be accepted as such vouchers.
Pay to Supreme Secretary
3. He shall pay to the Supreme Council all moneys assessed by it or by the Board of Directors against his council upon order drawn and signed by the Financial Secretary and countersigned by the Grand Knight. Payment to the Supreme Council shall be by check, money order or draft, payable to "Knights of Columbus, Supreme Council" and no other form of payment shall be received by the Supreme Secretary nor shall any other form of payment discharge the subordinate council of it obligation.
Pay Orders Drawn
4. He shall pay all orders drawn on him which are signed by the Financial Secretary and countersigned by the Grand Knight. All such orders shall have the approval of the Board of Trustees, except demands of the Supreme Council, Board of Directors or State Councils, and the regular and usual stated payments of the council and payments authorized by the council after notice and vote in accordance with Section 122. Payment of all orders shall be by check, money order or draft signed by the Treasurer and countersigned by the Grand Knight.
5. He shall keep separate accounts of the moneys placed in his hands by his council or the officers thereof that shall plainly show at all times the amounts of money in the general expense fund of the council, and the amount of moneys in each and every special fund of such council and the dates of receiving and disbursing the same, such accounts to be kept in books furnished by the Supreme Secretary to such Treasurer at the expense of their respective councils.
6. He shall retain all orders of the Grand Knight as his vouchers.
LECTURER - DUTIES
SEC. 141. The Lecturer shall endeavor to devise means to entertain his council at meetings and perform such duties as his council may direct.
ADVOCATE - DUTIES
SEC. 142. The Advocate shall be the attorney of the council in case of trial and investigation of any matter whatsoever of interest to the council.
WARDEN - DUTIES
SEC. 143. The Warden shall be present at all meetings of his council, and at the opening of the same. He shall have charge of all the council property, except moneys and account and record books of officers, and keep the same in proper condition for the meeting of his council. He shall instruct his guards in their duties and appoint the same at pleasure, and perform such other duties as may be imposed by his council.
GUARD - DUTIES
SEC. 144. The Inside Guard shall attend the entrance to the council chamber, through its inner door; the Outside Guard, the entrance through the outer door, and each shall perform such other duties as may be imposed by the council.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES - DUTIES
SEC. 145. The Board of Trustees shall consist of the Grand Knight and three members to be elected by the council. The Grand Knight shall be its chairman. At the first election of a new council, three trustees shall be elected, one to hold office for one year or until the next regular election, one for two years or until the second regular election, and the other for three years or until the third next regular election as determined by lot among themselves. Thereafter, at each succeeding election, one Trustee shall be chosen for a term of three years. The Trustees shall have supervision of all the financial business of the council and their approval shall be necessary for the payment of all moneys except Benefit Fund moneys and demands of the Supreme Council or Board of Directors or State council, and the regular and usual stated payments of the council, and payments authorized by the council after notice and vote in accordance with Section 122. They shall audit the accounts of the Financial Secretary and Treasurer at least every six months, and in January and July report thereon to their council, State Deputy, District Deputy and Supreme Secretary, upon blanks approved by the Board of Directors and furnished by the Supreme Council. They shall see that the Financial Secretary and Treasurer give proper bonds running to the Knights of Columbus in trust for their particular council and in amounts fixed by said trustees, and they shall be the custodians of such bonds. But in case the Board of Directors shall bond such officers, the trustees shall be charged only with fixing the amount of such bonds in excess of the amount provided for by said Board of Directors, and in such case they shall have evidence that said officers shall have been bonded in such excess amount. They shall perform such other duties as their council or the District Deputy or Territorial Deputy or the officers of the Order may direct.
Mark Shutters, PGK
George Grooms, PGK
Peter Czupryna, PGK